Hi, I’m Lee Watton, owner and cake designer at Relax Cakes. I qualified as a baker in 1993 where my passion for baking and decorating bespoke and novelty cakes started. I have to say, I love my job.
In 1999 I opened Relax Coffee Shop and Cakes. I have been baking cakes and making tasty food in our local area and across Northern Ireland for nearly 20 years. We have earned the highest food hygiene award of 5 stars every year, since it was introduced in 2012. We still proudly hold the 5 stars today.
Cake decorating and design is constantly changing and we are continually learning new skills and refining our decorating techniques. I learn something new everyday, as I keep up to date with changes in the latest trends, styles, designs and attention to detail needed for wedding cakes and cake design. It is always interesting to see the new trends coming along and seeing how they will translate into new cake designs. Every day I look forward to seeing where our story takes us next.
I qualified as a baker in 1993 and now have a long list of qualifications:
- North West Regional Association of Education Authorities in (cake decoration) – June 1992
- City and Guilds – national vocational qualification bakery competences – October 1992
- Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education – school of catering and hospitality (basic and advanced sugar flowers) – June 1992
- City and Guilds – national vocational qualification bakery competences level 2- October 1993
- City and Guilds – national vocational qualification (Catering and hospitality level 2) food preparation and cooking – June 2005
- City and Guilds – national vocational qualification (Catering and hospitality level 3) food preparation and cooking – June 2007